Monday, September 19, 2011

Berry Picking

     Since I arrived at Marshall, several different people had approached me telling me that I should take my elementary students berry picking. I wasn't sure what this would entail or where I should go, but with the help of my teaching partner Mary we took our classes out picking berries.


We were planning to walk around the community to pick berries, but when Mary and I got out to the front of the school all of the students had already piled into the school van.
 Students getting out of the van
 Students splitting into groups. Notice the guy in the back, that is our school counselor Steve and yeah he's holding a shotgun
Looking for berries
 This is what we were after
One student actually picking berries
A lone flower on the tundra
 Mary is a 4/5 teacher she is helping me stay sane up here
 Photo op on the rocks
 I had to get one more picture with Steve and his gun
 Beautiful hills that surround us
 Mt. Pilcher
The bucket can also be used for a hat
Where the Yukon splits to go around the island. The Yukon is in the back and the Poltese slough is in the front
Piling back into the van to go back to school
      The students that went berry picking had a great time. The plan was to take the berries and make some Eskimo ice cream. However the ride home was about twenty minutes and by the time we got back to the school the students had already eaten all the berries. Overall it was a great trip. Next year we will go sooner so that there is more berries.

5 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of the hills, tundra & "mountain"... Cracks me up! And Steve carrying a gun kind of makes the possibility of running into a bear very real! I'm so glad you have Mary to keep your head on straight, and that your first outing with the kid was such a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures! The one of the berries is especially pretty. Shotgun on a field trip...culture shock :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha they ate all the berries?! That's a riot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. Also, love the gun and the "hat." :)

    ReplyDelete