Thursday, December 1, 2011

Suprise Visit Home

   Several weeks ago my parents were discussing a trip up to see me here in Marshall during Thanksgiving since I wasn't planning a trip down. My sister Laura overheard the conversation and said that instead of them flying to meet me here, instead they should fly me home as a surprise. So my mom called me up and told me that they wanted to fly me home over Thanksgiving, but I couldn't tell anyone especially Shelly. It was really hard to keep the secret from her especially since she was stressing about moving into my parents house and shipping things to Marshall. The morning that I arrived in Portland I was pretty tired (I had been awake for over 24 hours). When I got into my Mom's car it was so HOT! The heat was on plus she had the seat warmers on. I was wearing my big winter coat with several layers underneath and my snow boots. When I left Marshall it was 9 degrees. When I got into Portland it was in the low 50's a big temperature difference. We drove straight to my house to surprise Shelly. When we got there my dad banged on the door a few times, but to no avail. He was about to call when Shelly answered the door. My dad yelled HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Shelly was a little confused until my parents moved out of the way and I stepped forward. All I heard Shelly say was "I'm not wearing very many clothes" to witch Laura replied "I don't think he will care" It was a wonderful moment. When the boys woke up they were surprised to see me. Logan didn't want a hug at first he went over to Shelly (he was probably thinking who is this guy who came in the night, I don't know him). Jack on the other hand came in and gave me a big hug. It felt so nice to hug and kiss my boys after not seeing them for nearly four months.  

 Julie invited us over for a pizza dinner. No way I was turning that down
 Looking over the choices Pepperoni, Hawaiian or cheese
 I missed my sleeping buddy
 Unwrapping presents at Shelly's party at Marilynn's house
 I forgot the joke behind this shot, but apparently it was pretty funny
 The boys helping Shelly blow out her birthday candles
     Shelly and Wyatt
Family photo Me, Wyatt, Logan, Shelly, Jack (we were almost all looking)

     So a funny side note about surprising Shelly. After my dad shouted happy birthday to her, she hadn't seen me yet, and she was thinking to herself Carl its 6:00 in the morning and its not my birthday. Her birthday was on Friday and I showed up on Thursday. However she quickly changed her tune when she saw me. 

     Mom and Dad I wont ever be able to thank you enough for this gift, flying me back to see my family after being apart for so long. Thank you is not enough, but it will have to do. Also thank you for taking in Shelly and the boys. It has been an a huge weight off Shelly and my shoulders. 


2 comments:

  1. Love this post! It was so amazing to see you. The fact that it was a surprise made it super special. I can't imagine how hard it must have been not to tell me. I am so glad the boys got to see you & I am so grateful you were here to help me move. You are the best, and I am the luckiest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I don't know HOWWWWWW you kept it from her. Especially when she was so super stressed about everything- but I'm glad you did. I'm not kidding the girl was GIDDY when I talked to her on the phone and GLOWING when I saw her on her birthday.
    Carl, Carol and Laura you're AWESOME for making this happen!

    ReplyDelete