Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ice Has Arrived in Marshall

     It has been well over a week since the temperature has risen above freezing here in Marshall, and that means that North of us it has been below freezing even longer. With all this cold weather the Yukon river has started to freeze. A couple of days ago we started to see ice chunks floating down the river. I went down to the river bank to get a better look. It is hard to explain with pictures and words, it is a pretty amazing sight. 

The afternoon of the first day of the ice flow

  

 

 These boats will be on shore for the remainder of the winter
 I have not learned my lesson I am still wearing my sneakers
 Air bubbles trapped in the ice
 Massive chunks of ice
 These ice shards are about 15 feet off the river bank




     I am excited for the river to be entirely frozen. I want to walk to the other side and take pictures of Marshall from the island. I have heard anywhere from two to three weeks it will be frozen across. It will be a bit longer before they will be riding their snow-gos on it to go to the nearby villages.

4 comments:

  1. Chicken! ;) I like the video. Made me excited to see you at Christmas. I missed your humor at the Halloween party yesterday!
    It is pretty amazing that the river can freeze over. I think it will be cool to see the pics of your village from the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear your voice! It's nuts that your in Alaska standing on the frozen Yukon river, sometimes I can't believe it. And for the love, put on your boots! Pretty sure Shelly likes you with all ten of your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video isn't working for me... Bummer. I agree with Roxanne & Julie- Wear your boots and I missed you at the Halloween party. Not sure I want you trekking across the river either- frozen or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video isn't working. :o/ Taylor said it's the Google problem. Anyway I have to say you're a spaz for not wearing boots. BRR! The photos of the river is stunning.

    ReplyDelete