Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fish Anyone?

     On Friday several of the high school students and staff went fishing for student lunches. The technique that they used was called drift netting. They place a net that drags behind their boat. They had a good catch, they first delivered fish to the Elders of the village they then filled a freezer in the lunch room. There was enough left over that they gave fish to any staff member that was interested. I got down to the kitchen a little late so I didn't expect to see any left, lucky for me there was plenty left. I got about 20 pounds of fresh Alaska King Salmon. Hopefully next time they go out I will get a chance to go.


 One of the tubs of Salmon
 Students cleaning the fish
 Wrapping the entire fish for later use
 Wow filleting fish is hard work
 One happy worker
Individually wrapped fillets. Yum.

     I am excited to try different recipes, so if anybody has any great fish ideas send them my way. Thanks to the students and staff for catching the fish, and thank you to the community members who let us use their boats.

3 comments:

  1. I bought you a bag of stuff, looks like bread crumbs, called Fish Fry to use on your Salmon. I'm anxious to hear if it's good or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool the kids are involved. Yuck! My idea is become a vegetarian ;)

    ReplyDelete