Friday, October 7, 2011

Track Meet in Alakanuk

     A few weeks ago I chaperoned the one male student that was running in the high school cross country meet held in Alakanuk. What this means is I got to go see my friend Jana. She is a 5/6 grade teacher in Alakanuk. It was fun to go and see her classroom (it made me really appreciate mine). She teaches in a much older school. They are starting to build the pad where her school will be built. If I remember correctly it is supposed to open in 2013. I had a good time chatting with her and her teacher friends. They rocked the dance floor during the Friday night dance. I think the teachers danced more than the students. Overall a really good trip. The one major bummer was that the boy that came from Marshall wasn't allowed to run. Since he was only in junior high they wouldn't let him. They gave several different excuses, I think they were afraid that a junior high student was going to beat one of their high school student and they couldn't let that happen.

 Climbing into the plane getting ready to leave
 Our airplane shadow
 On the ground in Alakanuk
 One of the stores in Alakanuk
 A very cool old boat, not sure I would put it in the water in its current state
 Apparently smoking is a problem in Jana's class (not really)
 Jana's smart board, mine is safely packed in a box
 Morning of the run
 Getting the course set up
 The front of Alakanuk School
 The boys started off the day
 How they entertain themselves in Alakanuk
 The girls turn
 I caught this picture without Jana knowing, she saw it after the fact. She'll probably be upset that I posted it but it is too good not to.

     I had a really good time in Alakanuk. It was nice to see Jana, and talk to someone who is facing some of the same challenges that I am. I enjoyed seeing another village and getting the opportunity to see the similarities and differences, I hope to see others soon.

4 comments:

  1. Umm... okay... can I change my mind??? That plane is TINY. Like, smaller than our car... I don't know if I could climb into it! Having serious doubts about joining you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ Shelly. That plane really looks like a clown car though, nuts! I'm glad you got to break up your routine and do something different. It's cool you're taking advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer for the boy! Good thing they realized they wouldn't let him run AFTER you were there so you could still go on an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize how many blog entries you have! I need to catch up. :) And no, I'm not upset you posted that picture.. unfortunately that's just me being me. That was such a nice sunny day for the XC meet!

    ReplyDelete